Malacañang: “There is no legal impediment for a former president to assume an executive position in the executive branch.”
MALACAÑANG — On Friday, the Palace said that outgoing President Rodrigo Duterte faces no legal hurdle should he wish to join the Cabinet of his successor, President-elect Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr.
Acting Deputy Presidential Spokesperson Kris Ablan said in a Presidential press briefing that there’s no legal impediment for a former president to assume an executive position in the executive branch.
However, Ablan noted that President Duterte, who steps down on June 30, previously said that he’s “looking forward” to retirement from public office.
“Actually puwede nga rin pong tumakbo, hindi lang sa pagkapangulo ulit,” Ablan said. “Whether tatatanggapin ‘yan ni President Duterte, nasa kanya na po ‘yan… Welcome po yang balita na yan kasi si Presidente na mismo ang nagsabi na kailangan pa rin tuloy-tuloy pa rin ang laban sa droga.“
Ablan was responding to a media inquiry regarding the possibility of the outgoing President being appointed as the anti-illegal drug czar under the Marcos administration.
President-elect Bongbong Marcos said on Thursday that he’s “certainly open” to the idea of tapping President Duterte as a drug czar.
According to the incoming President, he met with President Duterte “several” times before the May 9 elections, and the latter advised him to continue the anti-narcotics crackdown.
He also said that one thing President Duterte was assertive about was to continue the anti-drug syndicate that he started.
“One thing he (President Duterte) was assertive about [was] ituloy ang anti-drug syndicate (sic) na sinimulan ko. Do it your own way. He really said that. Palitan mo… but wag mong iiwanan yan kasi kawawa ang kabataan natin. Talagang nasisira ang buhay nila,” Bongbong said.