Angkas supported the government’s decision to suspend Grab – Move It partnership.
ANGKAS — The motorcycle taxi player supported the government’s decision to suspend the partnership between Grab and Move It, saying there should be no disruptions in the ongoing pilot run for motorcycle taxis.
The motorcycle taxi pilot run was supposed to run for 6 months under the supervision of an inter-agency technical working group, but it had been running for almost 3 years now.
Angkas, Move It, and Joyride were the three motorcycle taxi players included in the pilot run. The recent partnership by Grab Philippines and Move It was frozen by the Department of Transportation (DOTr) citing violations of guidelines.
On Monday, Angkas CEO George Royeca told ANC that he supported the technical working group’s decision to suspend the partnership between Grab and Move It in order to make sure that the pilot run concluded smoothly.
“Being at the tail-end of the pilot, what you don’t want to do is disrupt the study,” Royeca said. “If you add some new players in the game, it might change not just the dynamic but also some of the information we would need to be able to finish it off already to come up with proper regulations.“
Royeca also said that Angkas had to cut down its fleet “by choice” during the coronavirus pandemic in order to ensure that all drivers could earn.
Moreover, Royeca said that Angkas remained hopeful that a law could be passed in order to finally allow the use of motorcycle taxis for public transport in the country.
Meanwhile, the House Committee on Transportation chaired by Samar Representative Edgar Mary Sarmiento urged the Department of Transportation (DOTr) to reconsider the decision of its technical working group (TWG) revoking the partnership of Grab Philippines and Move It and excluding them from the motorcycle taxi pilot test.