Malacañang explained why all of President Duterte’s Talk to the People were “edited heavily”
On Thursday, Malacañang explained why all of President Rodrigo Duterte’s Talk to the People were “edited heavily“.
A video of President Duterte’s public address that aired on the government television network this week didn’t include his remark that he wouldn’t run for vice president if his daughter, Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte, would seek to succeed him.
But why was the President’s remark edited out? According to Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque, all of the President’s Talk to the People were “edited heavily” and the matter involved discussions involving family members.
In a Presidential press briefing Thursday, Roque said that whoever edited the President’s public addresses thought that the matter was a family matter and should be left between father and daughter.
Roque also said that he didn’t know who was in charge of editing President Duterte’s weekly addresses that he had been delivering since last year.
“Kapag tapos ng Talk to the People, alas-11, alas-12, we are just raring to go home. At ako naman, like everyone else, we’re just raring to go to bed,” Roque said.
Roque added that while he “can find out” who was in charge of editing President Duterte’s weekly addresses, it’s beyond his scope of functions as he belongs to a separate department.
When asked if there might be someone trying to control which of President Duterte’s remarks reach the public, Roque said, “I don’t think so“.
Roque also said that he thought it was pursuant to Standard Operating Procedure because the meetings can go on for as long as 5 hours sometimes.
When asked if the government can consider airing the President’s public address live, Roque said that he belongs to a separate department and the people in charge of broadcasting it belong to a separate department.
“That’s beyond the scope of my functions, but I will suggest,” Roque added.