President Duterte received his first dose of Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine.
President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday evening received his first dose of China’s Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine at the Malacañang Palace.
President Duterte received his first dose of China’s Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine at Malacañang. The said vaccine was administered by Health Secretary Francisco Duque III.
The vaccination process was broadcast by President Duterte’s long-time aide Senator Bong Go through Facebook Live.
“I feel good. I’ve been expecting this shot, vaccination, a long time ago,” President Duterte said before getting the first dose of the said vaccine.
The said video lasted for 1 minute and 39 seconds, but the video was cut before the public could see the needle of the syringe actually go through President Duterte’s arm.
Senator Go also posted a video wherein the needle of the syringe went through President Duterte’s arm.
According to Senator Go, President Duterte got clearance from his doctor to receive the said vaccine.
Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said that President Duterte’s first dose was covered by the compassionate use permit issued by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to the Presidential Security Group (PSG) hospital.
President Duterte had expressed his preference for the said COVID-19 vaccine brand.
China’s Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine has yet to be issued an emergency use authorization (EUA) by the country’s Food and Drug Administration. However, the Food and Drug Administration issued a compassionate use license for 10,000 Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine doses to be administered to the Presidential Security Group members in February this year.
The vaccination of the Presidential Security Group was once the center of controversy after the President revealed last December 2020 that some Filipino soldiers had been vaccinated with the said vaccines.
The Presidential Security Group admitted that some of its members had already received the said vaccine, but President Duterte ordered them to “shut up” on the vaccination.