President Duterte was “most likely” to declare three typhoon-hit regions under state of calamity, says Palace.
Malacañang on Monday said that President Rodrigo Duterte was “most likely” to place three typhoon-hit regions under a state of calamity.
The typhoon-hit regions that will “most likely” be placed under a state of calamity were Calabarzon, Mimaropa, and Bicol.
“Hintayin po natin ang papel mismo na manggagaling sa tanggapan ng Presidente,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque told reporters in a press briefing.
In a report on ABS-CBN News, typhoon “Rolly” left at least 20 dead after it hit provinces south of Manila last week with gusts of up to 310 kilometers per hour.
Typhoon “Rolly” partially damaged over 55,000 homes and flattened 20,000 more, according to disaster management chief Ricardo Jalad.
In the aftermath of typhoon “Rolly”, over 50,000 homes were without power on the main island of Luzon, which accounted for over two-thirds of the Philippine economy.
Agriculture Secretary William Dar said that torrential rain and strong winds had damaged crops worth PHP 1.7 billion — mainly corn and rice.
As per the report, typhoon “Rolly” was the 18th to hit the Philippines this year and also one of the strongest typhoons since “Yolanda” killed over 6,300 people in 2013.
The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) forecasted two to three more typhoons to enter the Philippine area of responsibility in November and another one to two in December.