Last Laugh Definition, Sentence Examples
LAST LAUGH MEANING – Find out what last laugh really means. Example sentences of this idiomatic expression can also be found here.
The phrase “last laugh” was first used in the 1608 English drama “The Christmas Prince” at Oxford College, which was based on the saying “He who laughs last best.” As a result, it draws attention to power disparities and makes fun of the underdog party.
In a sporting event, someone who starts out strong may make fun of the losing team’s players. When the opposing side pulls off a remarkable comeback and wins the game in the final seconds, they “have the last laugh.” In the end, this group triumphs, and as a result, they get the last laugh—the finest, the most enjoyable laugh of all.
- succeed or win despite being mocked or mistrusted by others.
- Having the last laugh refers to defeating those who have ridiculed or degraded you in some way.
- be proven correct, refuting the initial theories of the skeptics.
- to prevail in an argument or fight when it initially appeared that you would not be able to.
READ ALSO: Music To Ears Meaning & Sentence Examples
Here are examples of sentences that use last laugh:
- We’ll have the last laugh when they learn we got the contract.
- The couple is determined to have the last laugh.
- Sandra was fired from the company last year, but she had the last laugh when she was hired by their main rival.
- Jessica smiled shyly because she knew she would have the last laugh on them.
READ ALSO: Nowhere Near Meaning & Sentence Examples
Thanks for reading, I hope you learned something on this topic. Until the next topic only here at Newspapers.ph