Malacañang said that President Duterte will keep his anti-corruption promise.
On Thursday, Malacañang said that President Rodrigo Duterte will keep his anti-corruption promise as the President was certain to dismiss government officials whose corrupt activities had been documented.
This, after the Commission on Audit (COA) flagged numerous transactions of government agencies.
When asked what assurance the President would give to the public amidst the findings of COA in its audit reports, Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said in his regular press briefing that with the many officials dismissed by President Duterte for corruption, there’s no doubt that those officials will be dismissed if there’s evidence.
“Sa dami po ng nasibak na ni Presidente dahil po sa korapsyon, wala naman po kaduda duda na kung meron namang ebidensya, sibak, sibak, sibak po yan. Wag po kayo mag-alala, yan po ay pangako ng Presidente,” Roque said.
The Commission on Audit, in its audit reports and observations regularly posted on its website, recently flagged many government agencies for the handling of its finances — including the Department of Health (DOH), the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), the Department of Transportation (DOTr), and more.
Earlier, President Duterte told state auditors to “stop flagging” and “do not publish” its audit reports, saying that the practice corroded government agencies with “corruption by perception”. But Roque clarified that President Duterte was only expressing frustration when he made the remark.
The fight against corruption was one of President Duterte’s campaign promises when he ran for president in 2016. But a number of times, President Duterte was fed up with corruption and admitted that it’s “impossible” to eradicate it.
Also, President Duterte had repeatedly come to the defense of Health Secretary Francisco Duque, who had been sought to resign after being figured in several controversies.