President Duterte will physically attend the Independence Day commemoration on Saturday.
Malacañang on Thursday said that President Rodrigo Duterte will physically attend the Independence Day commemoration on Saturday, June 12.
Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said that President Duterte will physically attend the Independence Day commemoration on June 12, which will be held “outside Metro Manila”.
However, Roque didn’t divulge any more details as to the event for “security reasons”.
“Dadalo in person ang Presidente sa komemorasyon ng ating Independence Day, ito ay sa labas ng Metro Manila but I’m not at liberty to say for security reasons. Ang mensahe natin talagang ang Pilipino, sa mula’t mula ay iaalay ang buhay para sa kalayaan ng inang bayan,” Roque said in a Palace briefing.
This would be the 2nd official Independence Day rites that the President will attend since he assumed the presidency in 2016.
President Duterte skipped his first Independence Day event in Rizal Park in Manila last 2017. Instead, Vice President Leni Robredo led the wreath-laying and flag-raising ceremonies at that time.
Former Foreign Affairs Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano told reporters back then that President Duterte wasn’t feeling well because he stayed up all night to monitor the then-ongoing Marawi Siege.
Last 2018, President Duterte led the Independence Day rites in Kawit, Cavite despite heavy downpours. However, the President was heckled by 10 demonstrators when he started his speech.
The following year, Vice President Robredo once again led the commemoration in Rizal Park in Manila as President Duterte chose to spend the day with government forces in Lanao del Sur.
Last year, Roque said that the President wasn’t able to attend the Independence Day celebration in Manila because of coronavirus restrictions wherein only 10 persons were allowed in public gatherings in areas under MECQ (Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine).