The Philippines was negotiating with other countries for the excess COVID-19 vaccines, according to Galvez.
Vaccine czar Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. on Wednesday said that the Philippines was negotiating with other countries for the excess COVID-19 vaccines.
In a televised briefing with President Rodrigo Duterte and some Cabinet officials, Galvez said that the Philippine government was negotiating with other countries in order to obtain their excess COVID-19 vaccines to vaccinate Filipinos against the coronavirus disease.
According to Galvez, he had been talking with Philippine Ambassador to the United States Jose Romualdez to devise a plan to secure AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine doses from the United States.
Galvez also said that Health Secretary Francisco Duque III had also reached out to other countries as he had written to diplomatic channels for their excess AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines and they even wrote a letter of intent to Israel in order to get access to the excess of these countries.
Also, Galvez said that the Philippines was having trouble with its supply but assured that the national government was working on fixing it.
“Sa ngayon lang talaga hirap tayo sa ating volume sa first quarter, tsaka second quarter. Talagang gipit na gipit tayo,” Galvez said.
Meanwhile, Galvez said that the arrival of the 15,000 Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine doses was pushed back to May 1 because of logistic issues.