The Philippine government was looking into buying booster shots instead of buying additional Moderna vaccine doses, according to Galvez.
Vaccine czar Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. said that the Philippine government was looking into buying booster shots instead of buying additional Moderna COVID-19 vaccine doses.
On Wednesday, Galvez said that the national government was looking into procuring booster shots instead of buying additional Moderna COVID-19 vaccine doses.
During the joint hearing of the House committee on health and the committee on trade and industry, Galvez disclosed that they found out that Moderna was developing a booster shot that can be used with any COVID-19 vaccine.
“We found out that Moderna is developing a booster. ‘Yung booster na yun ay pwedeng gamitin kahit na Sinovac o kahit na Gamaleya ang ating nauna. Ang kanilang dinedevelop… [na] booster na pwedeng gamitin kahit sa anong vaccine ay darating either September or October so ang balak namin, yung five million, instead na yung bibilhin namin ay yung vaccine, we might buy the booster already. ‘Yan ang titingnan natin,” Galvez said.
Earlier, Galvez said that the national government ordered an additional 5 million Moderna COVID-19 vaccine doses in addition to the 20 million vaccine doses that the Philippines had already secured from the American manufacturer.
Meanwhile, Moderna said last February that the company was working with United States government scientists to study an experimental booster shot aimed at addressing the COVID-19 variant first found in South Africa that may be more resistant to existing COVID-19 vaccines.
According to Moderna, it had shipped the vaccine to the United States National Institutes of Health for additional study, adding that the company was experimenting with some potential ways to combat new variants.