By Far Definition, Sentence Examples
BY FAR MEANING – Find out what by far really means. Example sentences of this idiomatic expression can also be found here.
The phrase “by far” has idiomatic origins in the English language that dates back to the 16th century. Although its precise origin is not well known, its early usage frequently concerned comparisons of distance, as in “This town is by far larger than the other.” Gradually, the phrase grew to incorporate distinctions in quality, skill, or other traits.
The use of “by” and “far” together denote a large difference probably developed through widespread usage. Although its exact origin is still a mystery, linguistic advancement, and extensive use have caused its meaning and usage to change over time.
By Far Meaning:
- significant: Notably superior or better in comparison to anything else.
- to a great extent—there is a significant difference between two or more items.
- clear—simply the greatest or worst in a specific situation.
- Unquestionably—without a shadow of a doubt, the best or worst choice.
- Easy or simple—the clear or obvious decision in a certain circumstance.
Here are examples of sentences that use by far:
- He is by far the richest man in Manila.
- The worst day of this ordeal was by far the day of my 20th birthday.
- Derek’s performance was by far the highlight of the show.
- Strawberry cake is by far my favorite dessert.
READ ALSO: Lend A Hand Meaning & Sentence Examples
Thanks for reading, I hope you learned something on this topic. Until the next topic only here at Newspapers.ph