Achilles Heel Definition, Sentence Examples
ACHILLES HEEL MEANING – Find out what Achilles heel really means. Example sentences of this idiomatic expression can also be found here.
The term derives from the legend of the Greek hero Achilles. According to legend, Achilles’ mother Thetis dipped him into the river Styx to make him invulnerable. His mother held him by his heels, which were the only part of his body not submerged in water. As a result, his heels were the only area of his body that was vulnerable. Later, an arrow struck his heel, killing him.
Despite the legend’s age, the phrase was not utilized in English until the nineteenth century.
- a weak point or vulnerability
- a little flaw in a person or system that can lead to its failure
- a small problem or weak point in someone who is otherwise perfect
- a minor but fatal weakness
- on your body, your Achilles’ heel is the tendon on the back of your ankle (literal meaning)
READ ALSO: Rough Diamond Meaning & Sentence Examples
Here are examples of sentences that use Achilles heel:
- Hector was a good student, but Math had always been his Achilles heel.
- The desire for publicity became Judith’s Achilles’ heel.
- Jack is a good golfer, but his Achilles’ heel is his putting and it’s often made him lose matches.
- Science has always been my Achilles heel.
READ ALSO: Red Flag Meaning & Sentence Examples
Thanks for reading, I hope you learned something on this topic. Until the next topic only here at Newspapers.ph