Not Have A Clue Definition, Sentence Examples
NOT HAVE A CLUE MEANING – Find out what not have a clue really means. Example sentences of this idiomatic expression can also be found here.
Oddly enough, although not appearing to be idiomatic in nature, this phrase confuses some people. However, the several connotations that the word clue, which was also spelled clew, originally held can be linked to the beginning of this idiom.
A clew is a ball that supposedly forms from coils of worms or strings. It was first used in literature in 897 AD and has been referenced in works from Greek myths like Theseus and the Minotaur. According to this mythology, the clew, or ball of string, provided safe and guaranteed passage out of the maze and was the only way Theseus was able to escape the maze that led him to the Minotaur. With that meaning and description in mind, to be clueless is to continue to be uninformed and to know very little about how to handle various situations.
- to be ignorant of something
- have no inkling or knowledge of anything.
- to be willfully ignorant.
- being obstinate or stubborn about a certain matter.
READ ALSO: Next Door Meaning & Sentence Examples
Here are examples of sentences that use not have a clue:
- Sarah did not have a clue where she was going.
- I don’t have a clue. Why did Felix suddenly leave the job?
- Many parents do not have a clue how technology works.
- You think you’re smart, but you do not have a clue about how things work.
Thanks for reading, I hope you learned something on this topic. Until the next topic only here at Newspapers.ph