DSWD EDUCATIONAL CASH AID – The Department of Social Welfare and Development revealed the total number of beneficiaries of the program.
The DSWD Educational Assistance Program intended to help indigent Filipino students. It ran for six (6) weeks and the last releasing was held last Saturday, September 24, 2022. Based on a report on ABS-CBN News, a total of 713,916 beneficiaries received the cash aid from the government agency. The amount releasing went beyond P1.5 billion, the budget for the program. Based on the report, the agency said it released P1.7 billion due to the huge number of students that registered on the system. Its initial target was only 400,000 students.
Erwin Tulfo Says DSWD To Work With DILG In Distribution Of Educational Assistance Via LGUs
DSWD Secretary Erwin Tulfo: “We will have a memorandum of agreement with the DILG for the LGUs to assist us”
ERWIN TULFO — The DSWD Secretary said that the Department of Social Welfare and Development will work with the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) in the distribution of education assistance via local government units (LGUs).
In a media briefing, Tulfo said that LGUs will assist in the distribution of education assistance starting next week.
He said that they will have a memorandum of agreement (MOA) with the DILG for the LGUs to assist them so that people need not go to the DSWD main office in Quezon City but to their respective cities or municipalities for the cash payout.
Long lines of students and parents (or guardians) were seen outside the DSWD offices at the start of the distribution of the education assistance.
Despite the announcement that the cash distribution for the educational assistance will be done in DSWD regional, provincial, and satellite offices, he said that people from other areas headed to the main office in Quezon City.
According to him, President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos called him after receiving a report on the situation of the cash payout in Quezon City.
“I explained it to him, I said ‘Sir ang problema po lamang ay dito sa central office namin. Pero sa region we have already contained the situation. And then he asked me ‘Why? Dumami ba ang mga nangangailangan ng tulong? Bakit nagkaganito?” he said. “Sabi ko ‘Sir in-open ko ho. Pati jeepney driver, cigarette vendor, tricycle driver puwede pong mag-apply provided na hanggang tatlong anak lamang po at sila ay in crisis, kaya ho dumami.“
Tulfo also said that the President understood the situation and told him to watch and monitor the process.
It was last week when the DSWD said that it is pleased to facilitate requests for assistance through Assistance to Individuals in Crisis Situation (AICS) program.
However, the DSWD warned those who falsify documentary requirements that they will face appropriate sanctions.