President Duterte lifted the mandatory wearing of face shields outdoors except in closed and crowded places.
President Rodrigo Duterte has finally lifted the mandatory wearing of face shields outdoors except in closed and crowded places.
In his Talk to the People address aired Wednesday night, President Duterte revealed that he made the decision following the recommendation of medical experts and a technical working group of the national government’s pandemic task force.
However, the experts recommended keeping the mandatory use of face shields in the “3Cs” or activities and establishments considered as “close, crowded, and close-contact”.
“Pwede na tanggalin sa labas. No more face shields outside. The use of face shields on top of face masks may be limited to high-risk activities under the 3Cs – close, crowded, [and] close contact. This will include indoor establishments, transportation, gatherings, and other activities that promote close contact, as applicable,” President Duterte said.
According to President Duterte, he has made the order to accept the recommendation of the medical experts and also ordered that the implementation and guidelines on the mandatory use of face shields in closed and crowded areas should be issued immediately.
President Duterte’s announcement came as the public continued to call for the abolition of the said policy, citing the inconvenience face shields had been causing and its supposed ineffectiveness in the fight against the pandemic.
Meanwhile, the President explained anew his earlier decision to keep the wearing of face shields both outdoors and indoors mandatory. According to him, he got scared by the threat brought about by the Delta variant.