DOH On COVID-19 Variant First Detected In India

Must Read

Palace Gives Update On Duterte Meeting With Former Presidents On West PH Sea Issues

Malacañang gave an update about the proposed meeting of President Duterte with former Presidents on the...

Rabiya Mateo’s New Haircut? Netizens Have These Reactions

New haircut for Rabiya Mateo? Here's the reaction of netizens and beauty queens

VP Robredo Reminds Gov’t: COVAX Vaccine Rollout Rules Apply To All COVID-19 Vaccines

Vice President Robredo reminded the national government that COVAX vaccine rollout rules applied to all COVID-19...

The DOH released a statement about the COVID-19 variant first detected in India.

The Department of Health (DOH) on Tuesday officially released a statement about the COVID-19 variant first detected in India.

DOH COVID-19 Variant

In a statement on Tuesday, the Department of Health clarified that based on the technical definitions set by the World Health Organization (WHO), the COVID-19 variant first detected in India (B.1.617 variant) was classified as a “variant under investigation (VUI)” and not as a “variant of concern (VOC)”.

The health department’s clarification was made in response to the headline “Duque: No travel ban for now as India variant not yet one ‘of concern’” falsely conveying that a travel ban had not been imposed in the Philippines because Health Secretary Francisco Duque III didn’t consider the COVID-19 variant as a matter of utmost importance.

According to DOH, the statements were made in response to two different questions.

READ ALSO: Lawmakers To Set Up “Ivermectin Pan-three” In Quezon City

Duque had clarified in the interview that the travel restrictions for Returning Overseas Filipinos (ROFs) and Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) were yet to be discussed in the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) while existing travel restrictions for foreigners had been in place since the beginning of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) for NCR+ Bubble.

Meanwhile, when asked about the characteristics of the said variant, Duque said that the B.1.617 variant had not satisfied the WHO criteria for it to be classified as a “variant of concern”.

Despite this, the Department of Health continued to monitor the said variant — along with all other COVID-19 variants — in order to ensure immediate and appropriate response.

For more news and updates, you may feel free to visit this site more often. You may also visit Newspapers.ph via our official Facebook page and YouTube channel.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest News

Palace Gives Update On Duterte Meeting With Former Presidents On West PH Sea Issues

Malacañang gave an update about the proposed meeting of President Duterte with former Presidents on the...

Rabiya Mateo’s New Haircut? Netizens Have These Reactions

New haircut for Rabiya Mateo? Here's the reaction of netizens and beauty queens Miss Universe Philippines 2020 Rabiya...

VP Robredo Reminds Gov’t: COVAX Vaccine Rollout Rules Apply To All COVID-19 Vaccines

Vice President Robredo reminded the national government that COVAX vaccine rollout rules applied to all COVID-19 vaccines. Vice...

Melissa Ricks Marries Non-Showbiz BF Michael Macatangay

Melissa Ricks is now married MELISSA RICKS - The actress tied the knot with her non-showbiz boyfriend Michael...

WHO Tells PH Gov’t To Follow Priority List When Using Vaccines From COVAX

WHO told the Philippine government to follow the priority list when using COVID-19 vaccines from COVAX. The World...

More Articles Like This