Familiarity Breeds Contempt Definition, Sentence Examples
FAMILIARITY BREEDS CONTEMPT MEANING – Find out what familiarity breeds contempt really means. Example sentences of this idiomatic expression can also be found here.
The expression literally refers to learning too much about someone’s flaws and developing a hatred for them. The familiarity in this scenario makes it simpler to not like things and have examples against the person.
The derivation of the phrase comes from 1386 in the work titled “Tale of Melibee” by Chaucer. Despite the fact that the concept behind the expression is thought to be older.
Familiarity Breeds Contempt Meaning:
- to begin to dislike something after learning too much about it
- having a close relationship that leads to discomfort and eventually contempt as a result of having too much information about someone or something
- knowing someone’s secrets will cause you to lose respect for them
READ ALSO: Big Cheese Meaning & Sentence Examples
Here are examples of sentences that use familiarity breeds contempt:
- After working in the same firm for 20 years she hates even its name, just because familiarity breeds contempt.
- I am now not close to my brother’s family because familiarity breeds contempt.
- The couple could not stay together long after their nuptials because familiarity breeds contempt.
READ ALSO: Stop By Meaning & Sentence Examples
Thanks for reading, I hope you learned something on this topic. Until the next topic only here at Newspapers.ph