Political aspirants with canceled COC were not eligible for substitution, according to COMELEC.
COMELEC — The Commission on Elections said that political aspirants whose certificate of candidacy (COC) has been canceled were not eligible for substitution.
In an online press briefing last November 10, COMELEC Spokesperson James Jimenez said that political aspirants whose COC has been canceled have no right to substitution.
“If it is by cancellation of the COC, it is as if no COC was filed by the candidate. Therefore, there is no right to substitution that is attached,” Jimenez said.
Jimenez’s response came after several groups and personalities submitted last week a petition with the poll body seeking to cancel or deny the COC of presidential aspirant Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr over supposed “false material representation” stemming from a 1995 tax case.
A petition-in-intervention was also filed before the poll body last November 8 seeking to supplement the said petition. The petition against the former senator has already been raffled to the COMELEC Second Division.
According to Jimenez, summons may be issued this week.
“After the summons have been issued, they will have five days to file an answer. After an answer has been filed, the Comelec will issue a notice for a pre-conference meeting and it will be attended by the counsel of the respondent and the petitioner,” he said. “After, they will be given three days to submit their respective memoranda…and the case will be submitted for resolution.”
Jimenez was also asked what will happen in case there’s a split decision on the petition.
In response, Jimenez said that there will be a guest member of the division. The Second Division was composed of Commissioners Socorro Inting and Antonio Kho Jr.