President Duterte remained “safe” and “in good health”, according to PSG chief Durante.
Presidential Security Group (PSG) commander Brig. Gen. Jesus Durante III on Wednesday said that President Rodrigo Duterte remained “safe” and “in good health”.
In a report on Philippine News Agency, Durante said that President Duterte remained “safe” and “in good health” even after many PSG members had tested positive for COVID-19.
Durante on Wednesday said in a press statement that PSG members who got infected were not directly or closely detailed with President Duterte and were all asymptomatic without experiencing any adverse symptoms.
In an interview on PTV-4, Durante said that a total of 126 PSG members had been infected with COVID-19. Of these, Durante said that there were 45 active cases in the Presidential Security Group.
Durante also said that most of the infected PSG members were those manning the gates within the Malacañang compound and were exposed daily to the people.
He added that the PSG personnel’s exposure to coronavirus disease was “inevitable” because they “protect our VIPs” and “guard the PSG compound, the residence, and the whole Malacañang Complex 24/7”.
Durante said that the Presidential Security Group would only recommend the resumption of the President’s activities once coronavirus cases in Metro Manila subsided.
Moreover, Durante said that Presidential Security Group’s established protocols will continue to be enforced in order to make sure that the President was “kept safe and secured from all forms of threats at all times.”
According to an ABS-CBN report, Senator Bong Go said that President Duterte had tested “negative” for COVID-19 in his last RT-PCR test during Holy week.