All The Way Up Definition, Sentence Examples
ALL THE WAY UP MEANING – Find out what all the way up really means. Example sentences of this idiomatic expression can also be found here.
The more literal connotation is drawn directly from the concept of surmounting or navigating the terrain. Since at least the early nineteenth century, the figurative use of ‘climbing’ through the ranks of a school, business, or other institutional hierarchy—or referring to a period during which one did so—has been in regular use. According to “A Practical Jobber,” an 1816 book, it was a frequent term among stock brokers to remark, “I am a Bull all the way up and a Bear all the way down.”
A “bull” is someone who invests with the assumption that market prices will rise, whereas a “bear” is someone who short-sells with the hope that market prices will decrease. Rappers Fat Joe, Remy Ma, and French Montana used the term in their hit “All the Way Up.”
- Literally, it means climbing a mountain or navigating a river to a specified destination.
- It refers to working through or finishing the many stages of a project, usually to some predetermined goal.
- It can be used to refer to somebody in a chain of command or hierarchy.
- It is now a slang phrase describing a drug-induced mania, state of wakefulness, or sensation of invulnerability.
READ ALSO: As Bold As Brass Meaning & Sentence Examples
Here are examples of sentences that use all the way up:
- After taking illegal drugs, Kyle was all the way up and running around like a fool.
- Responsibility for the failure goes all the way up to the bosses.
- Gail made it all the way up the steep incline, but she didn’t have the energy to go on.
- Penny played piano all the way up through his senior year.
READ ALSO: Take Heart Meaning & Sentence Examples
Thanks for reading, I hope you learned something on this topic. Until the next topic only here at Newspapers.ph
Please like and follow/subscribe:
Newspapers YouTube Channel
Newspapers Facebook Page