The FDA will soon decide on the use of the Sinovac vaccine for kids and adolescents, according to Domingo.
On Wednesday, FDA Director-General Eric Domingo said that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will soon decide on the use of the Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine for kids and adolescents.
In a report on GMA News Online, Domingo said that the FDA will decide “in one to two weeks” on the use of the said vaccine on children and adolescents.
Domingo said in an interview on Super Radyo dzBB that vaccine experts were still clarifying certain matters with Sinovac Biotech in connection with its application to revise the emergency use authorization (EUA) issued for its COVID-19 vaccine.
“‘Yung sa Sinovac, ‘yung application nila is 3 years old and above so ito po ‘yung tinitingnan pa ng mga vaccine experts natin and tingin po natin, siguro in one to two weeks magkakaroon na tayo ng decision doon sa evaluation. Masinsinan lang naman na due diligence kasi hindi naman sa atin ginawa ‘yung study, pagkatapos, meron tayong tinatawag na stringent regulatory authority,” Domingo said.
However, Domingo reiterated that children and adolescents weren’t yet a priority in the country’s COVID-19 vaccination campaign due to the scarce COVID-19 vaccine supply.
He also explained that the vaccination program was targeting the elderly and persons with comorbidities since children were at the lowest risk for severe illness or death from COVID-19.
“Eventually, darating din naman tayo doon basta ‘yung supplies natin maging sapat na for everybody,” Domingo assured.
Currently, the Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine was only approved for use on individuals aged 18 years old and above.
Domingo’s statement came after the Chinese Embassy in Manila on Tuesday said that Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine had been approved for emergency use among people aged 3 to 17 years old in China.
What can you say about this? Let us know in the comments below.