Statement of Malacañang on Senate Committee Inquiry over Duterte’s Arrest Led by Sen. Imee Marcos
Malacañang Press Officer Undersecretary Atty. Claire Castro denied the remark of Senator Imee Marcos that people may speculate that the government is hiding something on the Senate probe of former President Rodrigo Duterte’s arrest.
Surprisingly, Sen. Imee Marcos led the Senate Foreign Relations Committee investigation on the arrest of former Pres. Rodrigo Roa Duterte. Her brother, Pres. Bongbong Marcos, earned a lot of criticisms following the controversial March 11 arrest of his predecessor.

Senator Bato dela Rosa accused Marcos Jr. of “betrayal” over Duterte’s arrest. Countless Duterte supporters also slammed the President as many people believe that he has the power not to allow it. The arrest was acted on the Philippine National Police (PNP) upon Duterte’s arrival from Hong Kong.

Malacañang previously defended Pres. Bongbong Marcos. According to Palace press officer Usec. Atty. Claire Castro, the President did not betray anyone and the government only did its job. Both Marcos and the Palace stressed that the implementation of the arrest was due to the government’s commitment with the Interpol.
Following Duterte’s arrest, Sen. Imee Marcos skipped the campaign rally of the BBM-led Alyansa Para sa Pagbabago in Tacloban and Cavite. According to her, she could not accept what was done to the former President and wants to shed light on the matter.

Sen. Imee Marcos launched a Senate investigation on the arrest of former Pres. Duterte. Several government officials and members of the cabinet of Pres. Bongbong Marcos appeared at the first Senate hearing. After the inquiry, the Senator expressed her belief that there seems to be no due process in the arrest of the former President.
Recently, Marcos claimed that she received a letter from executive secretary Lucas Bersamin informing the Senate that the cabinet officials will not be attending the second day of the probe on Duterte’s arrest. Marcos claimed that the cabinet officials’ absence may make it appear like the government is hiding something.
Malacañang reacted to the remark of Sen. Imee Marcos. Based on a report on ABS-CBN News, Palace press officer undersecretary Atty. Claire Castro said that the Senator can continue with her investigation even without the presence of the cabinet officials.
The Malacañang press officer further claimed that Marcos can invite other resource persons like the law experts. She stressed that the cabinet officials have already appeared at the first Senate hearing and answered the questions.
“Kung ‘yan ang balak ng Pangulo, sana sa umpisa pa lang hindi na pinapunta. Ilang oras ba niyang tinanong ‘yung mga Cabinet members, high ranking officials natin. Lahat naman sinagot siya. Halos paulit-ulit na ‘yung tanong niya,” Castro said.

Based on the report, the press officer of the Palace also denied that the government is allegedly hiding something over the arrest of former Pres. Duterte. According to her, there are just things that cannot be discussed in public.
“Hindi naman naglihim kaya lang may mga bagay-bagay na hindi pwedeng isiwalat sa publiko pero lahat naman ng tanong ay natanong na,” the Malacañang press officer said.
Atty. Claire Castro said that Sen. Imee Marcos can invite former Justice Secretary Antonio Carpio or ICC-accredited lawyer Joel Butuyan. According to her, it may prevent her from saying that she cannot understand or she is not explained well regarding the Diffusion Notice and Red Notice.
Previously, amid the showing of support of the Senator to former Pres. Duterte, Duterte’s former legal counsel Atty. Salvador Panelo dared Sen. Imee Marcos to file an impeachment complaint against PBBM.